The ongoing process of assuring that sufficient barriers are in place to prevent the unintentional release of hydrocarbons.
Barrier management includes:
- The definition of a barrier to the unintentional release of hydrocarbons
- Determining the strength or effectiveness of a barrier
- Systems to determine and ensure that the appropriate number and type of barriers are in place at each stage of the well control lifecycle
- Tracking the engagement, effectiveness and integrity of barriers in place during the well lifecycle
- Determining personnel roles and responsibilities for barrier management at the wellsite.
Source: Well Control Institute. Well Control Institute